Moving day is looming and you realise that you can't put off the packing any longer. Have you got enough boxes? What about those breakables and family heirlooms? Think ahead and reduce the potential for disaster on moving day.
Hints and Tips
- Pack Ahead
- Anything you can pack ahead will save you time on moving day. Use this as an opportunity to de-clutter your belongings, if you have the time, attend a car boot sale to sell the stuff you don't use anymore. The money that you make can go towards your removal!
- Valuables & Important documents
- It's a good idea to keep valuables and important documents with you. Your list of "important" documents might include: birth certificates, passports, recent bank records, current bills, etc.
- Books, CD's and Records
- These are deceptively heavy, so please make use of the smaller boxes or, alternatively, half fill the larger boxes with lighter items on top and avoid putting too many items into a box. Clearly label all boxes with their contents and the room from which they came.
- Use your Luggage
- Luggage and duffle bags are ideal to fill with clothing, sheets, towels, and paper goods.
- Mirrors, Framed Pictures and Lamp Shades
- For protection large mirrors, paintings and other artwork should be wrapped in bubble wrap which we can supply.
- Chests of Drawers
- These can be left filled with clothes as long as they are not too heavy. Fragile or valuable items should be packed separately and drawers in divan beds should also be emptied.
- Clothes Wardrobes
- Boxes can be provided on the day for the contents of wardrobes, but please make sure that all hangers are packed the same way round as this makes re-hanging easier.
- Pack 4 or 5 smaller plants into a box with some packing material between the pots so they won't fall over, seal the box with the flaps up to give extra protection. Leave larger plants for us to deal with. Whilst we will take every care of your plants they are not covered by insurance.
- Refrigerators and Freezers
- These should be emptied, defrosted and disconnected.
- Washing Machines
- These should be disconnected and any contents removed. Make sure that all pipes are free of excess water and fit the connection pipes into the relevant clips at the back of the washing machine. Remember to replace the securing transit bolts in the drums that came with the machine.
- Access to Premises
- Please ensure that you notify us of any problems with regards to access at either your existing or new property. If we encounter problems with access that have not been communicated to us beforehand you may incur additional charges. If you are moving from or to a city centre apartment please notify the concierge so that they can arrange lift keys and access through barriers where required.
- We ask that children are supervised and kept at a safe distance from the van and the crew whilst they are removing heavy items.
- Ensure that you use good quality double walled boxes. These can be supplied by Moved 4u Use as many boxes of the same size as possible so that they can be stacked this will utilise space in the van and storage and will reduce any potential damage. Clearly mark all boxes with their destination for example Kitchen glasses and crockery FRAGILE! Ensure the boxes are sealed and that they are flat and not overfilled so that they can be stacked.
- Packing fragile items
- For advice on packing please call us anytime or alternatively we can offer a full professional packing service.
- Do not pack the following items
- Unless previously agreed in writing, the following items must not be submitted for removal or storage and will under no circumstances be moved or stored by us.
Prohibited or stolen goods, drugs, pornographic material.
Potentially dangerous, damaging or explosive items, including gas bottles, aerosols, paints, firearms, ammunition, lighter fluid, matches, fuels, oils.
Jewellery, watches, trinkets, precious stones or metals, money, deeds, securities, stamps, coins, or goods or collections of any similar kind.
Plants or goods likely to encourage vermin or other pests or to cause infestation or contamination.
Perishable items and/or those requiring a controlled environment.
Any animals, birds or fish.
Goods which require special licence or government permission for export or import.